* Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
* Teach your children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
* Test smoke alarms once a month, if they’re not working, change the batteries.
* Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years.
* Never disable smoke or carbon monoxide alarms.
* Carbon monoxide alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms. Know the difference between the sound of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.